“Love yourself enough to surround yourself with people that love and respect you. The company you keep is a reflection of how you feel about yourself.”
These are the essential factors necessary in every relationship not just romantic ones.
- Honesty- In my eyes, honesty is always the best policy. I will always respect people who have the courage to tell me the truth not matter how hard it is.
- Friendship- True friendship isn’t about just having someone to attend a party with you or picking up members of the opposite sex with. It’s about having people in your life that will be there for you through everything; the good, the bad, the happy, and the sad. When one of your parent’s passes away it is their loss too. When you get that big promotion, plan your wedding, or graduate from a graduate program, they are the first people to cheer you on. And when you feel down they are the first people to pick you and remind you of who you are.
- Consistency- In regards to any relationship, whether it be a romantic one or a friendship, remember to check in on how someone else is doing. Text someone and ask to make dinner plans or call them to see how their day went. When you are persistent and make an effort to be part of someone’s life, you create a sense of stability. You have an understanding of where you stand in someone’s life.
- Communication- Even in moments where you feel uncomfortable or uneasy, you should talk about it. It’s one of the best healing mechanisms and you will feel better about yourself after you state what’s on your mind. Oftentimes, people listen with the intent of simply giving a response rather than understanding what is going on.
- Compromise- It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about meeting someone halfway. Realizing that your happiness or convenience is not the only thing that matters. Other people matter too. You have to be willing to make sacrifices for someone else, otherwise you will end up losing valuable people in your life.
- Trust- Learn to trust your intuition. If something deep inside of you says that something is not right about a person or situation, then trust yourself. Your mind and heart may be blind to certain things, but your gut isn’t.
Wherever you are in the world stay happy, healthy, and safe! ❤️